Get up to $0.10/sq. ft. cash back
Don’t hesitate. Insulate.
Upgrade your insulation and earn cash back for every square foot. There’s no easier way to prepare your home for the chill of winter and the dog days of summer. By installing qualified insulation, you can save up to $1,000 a year on heating and cooling costs, which makes this simple upgrade the very definition of wattsmart.
Qualifications & Incentives
$0.10 / sq. ft.
$0.10/ sq. ft.
Ensure the home qualifies:
- Must be an existing home, not new construction
- Multifamily homes up to 3 units qualify
Requirements for all attic insulation projects:
- Work must be completed by a program-eligible weatherization contractor listed on the Program-Eligible Weatherization Contractor List or may be self-installed by homeowner. Please review our tips for hiring a contractor.
- Insulation must be installed according to the specifications outlined in the Utah Technical Specifications Manual
- Insulation must be installed between unconditioned and conditioned living spaces
- Work completed must comply with all building codes and standards
- Work performed as part of building code requirements do not qualify
- Unfinished areas or areas that aren't conditioned living spaces, such as a garage, do not qualify
- Homes built in or after 2013 do not qualify
Additional requirements for attic insulation:
- Existing R-value must be no more than R-20
- Final R-value depth must be equal to or greater than R-38
- An electric heating or electric cooling system must serve at least 80 percent of the home's conditioned living space
Additional program rules:
- Mail all documents so they are postmarked within 180 days of the qualifying service completion
- Insulation must be installed within 90 days of purchase
- For each area of the home, limit one incentive per insulation type, for the lifetime of the home
- Incentive cannot exceed 50 percent of the project costs, self-installed insulation are eligible for incentives on materials only
- Incentive is paid by square footage of installed insulation
- Multifamily homes must complete the pre-qualification process. Contact the program to begin the pre-qualification process and to get the required application documents at [email protected]
- Insulation Application, completed and signed*
- Itemized receipt or contractor invoice
- Third Party Payment Addendum for applicants who would like to forward payment to a third party not listed on the utility account
- IRS W-9 Form, if applicable**
*If mailing, please make copies for your records and note the date mailed on the application
**Applicable only to businesses and non-individual customers, including landlords, applying for incentives
Incentives are associated with the December 1, 2016 tariff filing approved by the Utah Public Service Commission. All incentives are subject to change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
Electric heating is defined as a permanently installed system consisting of an electric furnace, heat pump, or electric zonal heating system (baseboard or ceiling/wall heaters) serving as the home's current primary heat source. Space heaters do not qualify.
Electric cooling is defined as a permanently installed, electric heat pump, or ducted electric central air conditioner serving as the home's current primary cooling source. Room air conditioners and evaporative coolers do not qualify.
Non-electric heating or cooling is defined as a heating or cooling system with gas, oil, or propane serving as the home's current primary heating or cooling source
Residential electric customers residing in the state of Utah who purchase their electricity from Rocky Mountain Power on rate schedules 1, 2, or 3 qualify. Landlords who own rental properties served by the company in the state of Utah where the tenant is billed on rate schedules 1, 2 or 3 also qualify for this program. You can locate your rate schedule on your bill or by calling 1-888-221-7070. Incentive checks are only issued in the name of the Rocky Mountain Power account holder.
How to Apply
Prior to starting a project, find a contractor using the Program-Eligible Weatherization Contractor list. Note that select incentives must be completed by a Program-Qualified Contractor. Insulation may be self-installed by homeowners. Review the Incentive Application to determine eligibility requirements, incentive qualification, and review the list of required documents to submit for an incentive.
Incentive Application and required documents must be submitted online or postmarked within 180 days of the service completion date. Incentive checks are issued within 45 days of receipt of the completed and approved Incentive Application. Checks are only payable to the account holder or verified third party payee. Incentives are not to exceed the purchase price of the equipment or service. Equipment and service work may be inspected for compliance.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for questions regarding trade allies or how to receive your incentive.
You will need these items to apply online for your incentive:
- Rocky Mountain Power account number
- Electronic image of your receipt that shows the manufacturer name and model number of your new product
- Complete and submit your online application within 180 days of purchasing your new energy-efficient product.
- Please allow six weeks plus mail service time for delivery of your incentive check after we receive your approved application and receipt.
- You can locate your account number on your statement as shown below.
Have you already applied? Track your incentive status. Please allow 48 hours for your application to load in our system.