Get up to $2,500 cash back
Cash in with supreme HVAC efficiency
Install a qualified ground source heat pump and earn up to $2,500 cash back, plus year-round savings on your energy bills. Ground source heat pumps (sometimes referred to as geothermal heat pumps) are among the most efficient HVAC technologies available. They rely on the consistent temperatures of the ground to provide extremely efficient heating and cooling to the home.
Qualifications & Incentives
Equipment Purchases and Services
Ground Source Heat Pump Upgrade
|Ground Source Heat Pump Conversion||$2,500|
Through December 31, 2016 homeowners who install ENERGY STAR® qualified geothermal heat pumps are eligible for a 30% federal tax credit. Learn More.
Ensure home qualifies:
- Must be existing home, not new construction
- Work completed must comply with all building codes and standards
- Gas, oil, wood heating, pellet stoves, and propane system conversions do not qualify
Requirements for ground source heat pump upgrade and ground source heat pump conversion:
- Minimum 3.6 COP, 16.2 EER open or closed loop
- Ground source heat pump must be new and ENERGY STAR® rated
- Work must be completed by either a Program-Eligible or Qualified Contractor
- New ground source heat pump must be the current primary heat source and must service at least 80 percent of the home’s conditioned living space
- Ground source heat pump must be installed according to specifications outlined in the Idaho Technical Specifications Manual
Additional requirements for ground source heat pump upgrade
- Previous primary heat source must have been a permanently installed electric resistance heating system (e.g. electric baseboard, eletric furnace, electric ceiling/wall heat) serving at least 80 percent of the home's conditioned area
Additional program rules:
- Mail all documents so they are postmarked within 90 days of the qualifying service completion date
- Ground source heat pump must be installed within 90 days of purchase
- Incentive cannot exceed the total cost of the project
- Ground Source Heat Pump Application, completed and signed
- Itemized receipt or contractor invoice
- Third Party Payment Addendum for applicants who would like to forward payment to a third party not listed on the utility account
- AHRI certificate
- IRS W-9 Form, if applicable*
*Applicable only to businesses and non-individual customers, including landlords, applying for incentives
Please see the Incentive Application for a list of required documentation and additional terms and conditions. Incentives are subject to Idaho Utilities and Transportation Commission approval and may change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
Residential electric customers residing in the state of Idaho who purchase their electricity from Rocky Mountain Power on rate schedules 1 or 36 qualify. Landlords who own rental properties served by the company in the state of Idaho where the tenant is billed on rate schedules 1 or 36 also qualify for this program. You can locate your rate schedule on your bill or by calling 1-888-221-7070. Incentive checks are only issued in the name of the Rocky Mountain Power accountholder.
How to Apply
Prior to starting a project, find a contractor using the Idaho Qualified Contractors list. Note that select incentives must be completed by a Qualified Contractor. Review the Incentive Application with your contractor to determine eligibility requirements, incentive qualifications and review the list of required documents to submit for an incentive.
Incentive Application and required documents must be postmarked within 90 days of the purchase or completed installation. Incentive checks are issued within 45 days of receipt of the completed and approved Incentive Application. Incentives are not to exceed the purchase price of the equipment or service. Equipment and service work may be inspected for compliance. Incentives are subject to tariff approval and may change with 45 days notice. Additional terms and conditions may apply.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for questions regarding contractors or how to receive your incentive.